Tuesday 8 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week Four Day Five Activity 1,2 and 3

Activity 1 Week Four Day Five

Success Criteria:On your blog tell us three things that you could do to help save the planet.


1)An idea for helping the planet is I could try and get the most votes and win the election to run New Zealand and do something about this pollution problem and not just talk about doing it and focusing on other things but to actually do it.


2) First of all there is this layer of heaps of different types of gases that is around the Earth. What happens is when the sun produces heat it goes through the layers or gases around  Earth and hits the water creating high temperature into the ocean called climate change. When this happens the heat bounces off the water back towards the sun but because there is thick layers of gases made by humans the heat can’t travel back out to space. This layer of gas is called the ozone.


I can try and reduce the impact from me on Earth using different types of gases and to decrease a little bit of climate change. To make a bigger difference I would create a website and let people know about my idea. This will spread it world wide and make people think twice about using gases.

3)My last option to help save the planet would be to take notice on how much water I use daily, weekly monthly and every year. Using water can change the ocean and rivers etc, to get lower and lower and one day there will not be any water left on this planet. Little things like turning the tap off when brushing your teeth makes a huge difference if 7.53 billion people all do it.

Activity 2 Week Four Day Five
Success Criteria: Visit the WWF site and take a look at the animals who are available for adoption. Choose your ‘top three’ animals from the website.
On your blog, list the three animals that you have chosen and then compare and contrast them. How are they similar? How are they different? At the bottom of you post, tell us which of the three animals you would most like to adopt.

I have chose the Arctic Hare, Polar Bear and the Arctic Fox.
Similarities
-These three animals are  similar because their skins are all white colour in the winter.
-The Arctic Hare, Arctic Fox and the Polar Bear are only found in the Arctic.
-They love to live in cold conditions.
-The Arctic Hare and the Arctic Fox are both land mammals
-All three of these animals in the summer change their fur to a dark brown or brown.
-The Arctic Fox and the Arctic Hare both like to eat small animals.
Differences
-The polar bear is not a land mammal it is a marine mammal.
-An obvious difference between these three animals is the polar bear is a type bear the arctic hare is a type of hare/rabbit, and the arctic fox is a type of fox.
-The Polar Bear eats different things compared to the Arctic Fox and the Arctic Hare. The Polar bear likes to eat other mammals like the earless seals and the bowhead whale.

Out of the three animals the animal I would most like to adopt is the Polar Bear.

Activity 3 Week Four Day Five
Success Criteria:On your blog please tell us:
  1. What is one thing that you learned from participating in the Summer Learning Journey programme this year? I learned that trying new things like the Summer Learning Journey is something I like and
  2. What is one thing that surprised you?One thing that surprised me was that I didn’t know as much as I thought I did before I started the Summer Learning Journey.
  3. What is one thing that concerned or upset you?One thing that definitely concerned me was I am going away on Wednesday 9th of January for a week and a bit and I was worried that I wasn’t going to finish the SLJ because I have came so far in it.
What is one thing that you (or your family) can do, moving forward, to help protect our natural environment? One thing that my family are trying to do to help the environment is to decrease the amount of times we use plastic materials that can cause pollution.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jennae

    Well done for completing the Summer Learning Journey. This is a fantastic effort on your part. My team and I have enjoyed reading your posts so far and we have a lot more to read over the coming weeks. You have done a fantastic job.
    Remember if you get some time to go and comment on other students blogs as this will earn you more points.
    I hope that where ever you are going on your holiday that you have a fantastic time and enjoy yourself!
    We are all looking forward to reading through all your posts now and leaving you some comments on your work!

    Have a great rest of the summer and I will see you when I return to the schools in February with certificates and prizes.

    Thanks for blogging with us and we hope it was a great experience.

    See you in February!

    Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Jennae,

    My name is Hazel and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey (SLJ) team. I just wanted to say a huge congratulations on completing this year's SLJ programme.

    It's great to hear that you learned a lot about the environment, and I hope that you had fun blogging with us. I think it's awesome that you and your family are going to try to reduce your use of plastics and water - if everyone plays their part, we can keep Aotearoa clean & green.

    I really like your idea about running for Prime Minister so that you can make a bigger impact on our pollution problem - that is an awesome goal, and I hope that you make it one day.

    Enjoy the rest of your summer holidays Jennae, and congratulations again on finishing all of the SLJ activities.

    Hazel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jennae,

    A big, big congratulations to you on making it to the end and completing all the activities, I hope you have had an amazing time and learnt many new things on this wonderful journey! I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge with us all!

    You have concluded the Summer Learning Journey with a wonderful reflection and I am pleased to know that you have obtained lots of new knowledge. We all have a role on this planet and we can definitely play our part to make this place a little bit better each day. Avoiding the use of plastic as best as we can is an excellent start and a very good suggestion, well done!

    May you enjoy the rest of your holidays and have a lovely year of school ahead!

    I wish you all the very best,
    Evelyn :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.