Saturday 21 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey

Week One- Day Three | Team players
Activity 1

For this activity, let’s imagine that you could be a superhero for a day. What three superpowers would you most like to have?
On your blog, please list the three superpowers, tell us why you have chosen each one, and tell us what you are going to do with them.
There are many superpowers I can choose to do like, being able to fly, etc. Looking at what I am set to do on this task has really made me think about this topic, but if there were three superpowers I could choose from they would definitely be time travel, teleportation and invisibility.
If I could have the superpower of time travel there would be many reasons why I would want to choose it. What is time travel? Time travel is a superpower where you can travel/ go back to the past or to the future. I would want to have the superpower of time travel because if something bad is going to happen or has happened, I would be able to fix it. 
Being able to have the superpower of teleportation would be amazing and something I would definitely want to do. I would want to have this superpower because being able to teleport or get somewhere faster would be very helpful. Like running a race, travelling, and always being on the scene when something happens.
Having the ability to be invisible would be so funny and a great superpower to have.  I definitely would want to have this superpower because you could listen to what people were talking about, mess around with people and scare them, and find out what might be going on ahead of time.

Week One- Day Three | Defying the odds
For this activity, we would like you to imagine that you had the chance to interview LeBron James, Steven Adams or another basketball player of your choice.
On your blog, tell us who you would interview and then provide a list of five questions that you would like to ask your chosen player.
If I had the opportunity of interviewing a certain basketball player, anywhere in the world I would choose to interview Kevin Durant. Kevin durant is well known for being a professional basketball player with an amazing talent with great skills. If I could ask him five questions in the interview I would ask him….
How did you get into the love of basketball?
Who helped you get to where you are now?
What has been the hardest thing involving your basketball career?
What did you do before becoming a professional basketball player?
What makes or helps you carry on playing?

Week One- Day Three | Achieving our Dreams
Activity 3
For this activity, choose a friend or family member and ask them what their dream job would be. Please then brainstorm six ways in which you could support them in achieving their dream job.
On your blog, present your ideas as a poster or infographic.
For this task I will be asking my Mum about her dream job.
When my mother was my age she has wanted to be an air hostess/ Flight attendant and still wanting to be.  I began to wonder why she might what this job, so I asked her. She replied with, “ Well, being a flight attendant would include me being  around new people and getting to know them, handing out ordered food and lollies, being able to care for someone and also to see new parts of the world.”
My mother doing this job she would need some support in some way, so here is the link to a poster with my ideas on how I can support my mother with her dream job.
Week One- Day Four|Making a racket|
Activity 1
By watching this video of Serena and Venus Williams I have learned many things and still have questions to ask. Serena and Venus are two sisters who both have the love of playing tennis.
 When I watched this video I learned that Serena is ranked #1 for the most paid woman tennis player and Venus is ranked #5.  
Next I learned that Serena and Venus have been wanting equal pay for a long time but just can’t seem to get it. Serena is the most paid women tennis player but within the highest paid athletes she is ranked #51. This shows that men get a better pay than women in tennis so they want equality.
Lastly, I learned that Serena and Venus got into the career leading up to tennis by their devoted father who made sure they succeed with everything they choose to do.
If I had to ask Serena and Venus a question about themselves I would ask, at what age did you start to recognise that you wanted this as a career?
Week One- Day Four | What’s in a name?
Activity 2
For this activity, imagine that you were allowed to change your name to anything that you wanted.
On your blog, tell us what you would change your name to and why you would choose that name.
Looking at this task has made me wonder, If I was allowed, would I change my name? The name I was given at birth was ‘Jennae’. If I had to change my name I would want the name that my mum originally wanted me to have because her mother’s mother which is my great grandmother had it and it's very special to her and myself. The name is Amelia.
Giving this more thought If I was able to change it or had to I wouldn’t. The name anyone is given at birth is so special because your parents gave it to you and should hold onto it forever. Not only is it special but the name will have come from somewhere meaning something else too.

Week One- Day Four| Worth her weight in gold
Activity 3
For this activity, imagine that you were asked to create a travel brochure for Tonga (or a country that is important to you). On the brochure, include lots of great tips about what to see and do in the country.
On your blog, post your finished copy of your brochure.
Below is the link to the brochure I made about a special place to me called New Zealand.

Week One- Day Five | National treasure
Activity 1
For this activity, we would like to learn more about the things that are important to you.
On your blog, please share three things that you treasure and say why they are treasures to you.
Since I was born and up to now  and have treasured many different types of gifts, objects and items.
The first thing I treasure the most is my education because i’ m aware that some people don’t get those types of opportunities. When being in a classroom, surrounded by teachers and my classmates  I sit there thinking to myself, how do we all have a great chance of education. Being able to learn new things is an amazing privilege and having the chance to learn from mistakes and to never give up is incredible. Thinking about it now, teachers do their job because this is what they want to do with their lives and also giving up their time making sure that most students have a wonderful education  better than the ones the teachers may have been provided.

The next thing I treasure the most is my life. I treasure my life because it is an amazing thing that my  parents created for me to have.. Having the chance to explore the world, do what I love and have the best years when being alive is such an honor.
The last thing that I treasure is my family. Looking up, down, left or right, they're always there and without them I probably won’t be here right now.  Just like stars. We have helped each other through so much, although we still have our little fights every now and then, we still love each other. Family is what everyone has, they are going to be the most important people in life who have great care. I am so lucky to have such a kind and loving family that I truly am grateful for.

Week One- Day Five | Swimming to safety
Activity 2
For this activity, listen to the podcast of Yusra Mardini, or read her story on her personal website.
On your blog, retell the story of this amazing young woman from Syria.
During the war, a girl named Yusra and her elder sister, were living in Syria. At this time there was a war taking place so Yusra and her elder sister fled the Syrian war and set off on a dangerous journey. Yusra and her sister needed to find safety well away from the war, so I talked about where they should go and they decided to go to Europe. In Summer 2015, they travelled from Lebanon to Turkey before departing to Greece.To get to Greece Yusra and her sister had to be seated in an overcrowded dingdy.
 Fifteen to twenty minutes into the sea crossing, the engine boat stopped working and failed. Once Yusra had heard what the problem was, she needed to help right away. Yusra being a professional swimmer, she didn’t want any of the other passengers to not make it and possibly drown. Yusra, her sister and two other people onboard jumped out of the dinghy and swam alongside the waves  for three and a half hours to prevent their dinghy from capsizing and her actions helped saved twenty people.
For Yusra and her amazing story she has been recognised and has been given numerous awards for what she had done. Yusra was even invited to the Olympic Games in Rio in 2016. Reading Yusra’s story, is there something you could do to help that will have a great impact on others?
Week One- Day Five |Own Choice
Activity 3

For this activity, please choose one person (a changemaker) and read all about them.
On your blog, provide us with:
  1. The name of the person
  2. A description of the work they do/have done
  3. An explanation of how they/their work has had an impact on the lives of others
There are numerous changemakers all throughout the world that have done incredible things that impacts other people greatly.This year I have learned a lot about different changemakers in the world, but in particular Mahatma Gandhi. Mahatma Gandhi was an amazing man who changed the lives of many, with his   full name Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. This man did many things in his work, but he was well known for being an Indian lawyer.
How did Mahatma Gandhi change the world and impact so many people? This man has done so much to help others, not only because he was a lawyer and stood by people but in other reasons too. In those days there was no equality. Everyone had different opportunities given to them and some none at all. Different races of people weren’t allowed on buses, weren’t allowed an education and couldn’t reveal any of their bodies, they had to be fully covered. Mahatma Gandhi wanted the best for everyone, mostly to be happy, so he did. Mahatma Gandhi put messages out into the world, that helped people be noticed and helped others equally. Not only was he a civil rights leader but he also created freedom for so many people.
Many people are now living happily and freely everywhere in the world and I would assume that everyone would be grateful for his actions.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Jennae,

    My name is Caitlyn and I'll be reading and commenting on your work this summer as part as the Summer Learning Journey team.

    Week One- Day Five, Activity 3. This is a great piece of work. I really like all of the information that you have found out about Mahatma Gandhi, He was a great person. I think that maybe next time you could add a photo of Mahatma Gandhi as well, but apart from that it is a great blog post.

    Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading your work and commenting on your posts,

    Caitlyn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Caitlyn,

      I'm enjoying the Summer Learning Journey a lot so far. Being able keep my test scores the same and not dropping is amazing,and incredibe how there is something you and the rest of the SLJ team are doing to help.

      Yes! Adding some images within my work would add a "wow" factor and that is something I am going to be working on during the holidays. Thank you for your helpful and positive comment.

      Jennae :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Jennae

    Wow! Well done with all of your activities. You are doing a fantastic job and I can see all of the thought and hard work that you are putting into them all.

    I have just tried to access your New Zealand Poster, but it is not in a folder so I can'e see it. If you could fix that up so I can see it. That would be great, thanks Jennae.

    I agree with you when choosing your super powers. I too would choose time travel as one of mine. I would love to travel back in time and talk to my ancestors and then forward in time to see what the future holds for us all. I wonder what things will be like in 50 years time! Do you think we will fly around in our cars?

    I love that you talk about valuing your education and that you realise that it is a great opportunity for you. You can really do whatever you want if you have a great education behind you. Make the most of it and be awesome! I am sure you are a shining star at Karoro School. Your family is so important in you life. It is great that you appreciate them at such a young age. I just love that! They will be there to support you through so much. It is great to have a fantastic family. What is your favourite family activity?
    We like to go to our family bach at Punakaiki, we have a big family so it is always lots of fun!

    Great to see that Caitlyn is commenting on your blog too. She is one of our Year 9's that is a guest commenter this year!

    Keep up the great work! You are doing a great job!

    Until next time

    Allie :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.