Thursday 26 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey

Week Two- Day Two | A long walk to freedom
Activity 1


For this activity, please imagine that you are Mr. Mandela and that you are living at Robben Island prison. You have been given a journal and each night you write in it.
On your blog, write a journal entry imagining that you are Mr Mandela. What do you think he did each day? How did he feel? Include as much detail as you can in the journal entry.
I feel very isolated in here, very cold and lonely, feeling completely shut off from the outside world. I have been sitting on this very same mattress for hours, thinking about what to write, looking up at every crack in the concrete walls, looking for a way out. I had my first meal this morning, I’m still quite hungry, my stomach has been rumbling a lot every now and then. Eating prison food made me miss the meals my wife makes for me back at home. In about 20 minutes everyone will be let out into the courtyard for a one hour break.  
I’m back, I had to stop writing, the prison guard opened my door, and said I could come out. He had taken me out into the courtyard with the rest of the prisoners, taking a seat at a table and making conversation. It wasn’t very easy, but we ended up playing a short game of cards, then moving onto playing some football.


Week Two- Day Two |School strike for climate
Activity 2


For this activity, we would like you to explore the School Strike for Climate Australia website.
On your blog, list three facts (things) that you learned, and include a photograph of something that you are doing around home to help the environment.


Looking through this website I have recapped most of my knowledge but haven’t learned anything. Reading this website has made me think more about what is happening all around the world to do with climate change. Other countries are also facing this problem and realizing now that we need to work together to stop it. 


This website just shows some statements of what people think of  Scott Morrison not helping the city at all, and apparently going on holiday. I read through these statements and little articles more than once to see if I missed anything but I couldn’t seem to find out any new information, it was all the things I have already learned.




Week Two- Day Two | “I have a dream”
Activity 3
For this activity, please consider the problem that black men and women faced in America at this time.
On your blog, describe the problem. What did Rosa Parks do about the problem? How did other people react?
In America there are heaps of problems they were facing back then and now. One of the main problems was segregation. Segregation means the action of someone or something apart from others. In America, many people wanted equality for people of colour. This meant that different races of people could sit with others that were different colours than them. In America this was not allowed, it was part of the law to be away from different people, and if you have chosen not to obey this law you could get arrested.
One day a 42-year-old woman called Rosa Parks chose to take a bus trip back home for the Montgomery fair. On buses, the rules were that white people were to sit at the front and black people sat at the back of the bus. Rosa walked onto the bus, and sat at the front, where she is not supposed to be, due to having a different colour of skin. White people kept asking her to move and for her to give up her seat, but she refused to move. Many people had done this in the past and were arrested and so was Rosa. Rosa’s courage and decision changed the country and helped people see what was happening and helped change the law and for people to stand by her and agree. 


Week Two- Day Three | The right to vote
Activity 1
For this activity, let’s imagine that the government decides to create a new $10 bank note and replace Kate with a picture of a different New Zealand woman.
On your blog, tell us who you think the government should put on the new $10 note. Please provide us with a picture of this amazing woman and a short explanation of why you have selected her as Kate Sheppard’s replacement.


Kate shepherd was an amazing woman. 126 years ago, she made the right for women to vote. She believed that every vote counts and that everyone should have a say in their future. There are many amazing women in New Zealand that could replace Kate Shepherd spot with the $10 note, but if I had to choose, it would be my Mum.
My Mum is an incredible woman when it comes to anything. She is always there to drop me at sport practises, friends places and when it rains, she drives me around to do my paper run. In my household we have a family of six and she still manages to handle us with ease. There are times when she needs help with some things, but she does a lot of work behind the scenes for our family. If anyone could take Kate Shepherds place on the $10 note, I think that it should be my Mum.

Week Two- Day Three |The Right to an Education
Activity 2
For this activity, we would like you like you to write a short story. The story can be about anything that you wish but to receive full points it must be at least 10 sentences long!
On your blog, share your short story. We can’t wait to read it!
One day when I was about three years of age, I wanted to go and play outside. Running around the yard, kicking a ball and just having fun. I stopped playing, heading over to the flowers. Picking them out one by one, creating a circle on the ground with various types of flowers. Daisies, roses, sunflowers were all there, beautiful vibrant colours together in one. Looking up, starting  to run, along the driveway and into the house. I began to yell, “Kayla! Kayla?”
“Yes?” she replied.
“Quick, come out to see what I made!” I yelled with excitement as I ran out the door. Kayla had no chance but to come and have a look at what I had made. I waited for Kayla to come but she didn’t show then I heard a voice saying, “ Jennae, quick come here, come have a look at what I found.” I ran as fast as I could, stopping at a big green fir tree. “ It’s a white tail spider!  It’s cool isn’t it? “ questioned Kayla. Without any hesitation, I went for the spider sitting on her hand, bringing my hand to my mouth and in the spider goes. The cruncy, juicy taste and the squirming sound rings in my ears. Kayla stood there in shock, mouth hanging down wide. The spider chewed up into a million tiny pieces, swallowing all that was sitting in my mouth. “Now can you have a look at what I made?” I asked.



 Week Two- Day Three | Belle Of The Ball
Activity 3
For this activity, choose a book that you like and write a short review of it. In the review, tell us what the book is about and what you like about it.
On your blog, share your book review with a photo or illustration (drawing) of the book.
Week Two- Day Four |Guiding principles
Activity 1
For this activity, read through the seven whakataukī (proverbs or metaphors) presented in this document. Choose one that has meaning for you. Create a poster that features the whakataukī and be sure to include at least one image (a drawing or photograph) on the poster that represents the whakataukī that you chose.
On your blog, share your poster of your whakataukī.


Week Two- Day Four | Celebrating diversity
Activity 2
For this activity we are going to become more familiar with some of these amazing indigenous communities. Please click on the links below to learn more about these fascinating groups.
Once you have finished learning about these groups, please choose the two that interest you the most.
On your blog tell us the names of the two groups that you chose and then tell us at least two interesting facts about each group. To earn full points, you must provide two facts about both groups - 4 facts in total.
Looking through these links and finding out about other cultures was very interesting. It’s amazing how much people still use the languages within them. There were two links that were more interesting and the two I  enjoyed more about. The links were called ‘ Ainu People ‘ and the ‘Papuan People’.
A fact I found out about the Ainu People is that, in September 2007, the UN (United Nation) declaration on the Rights Of Indigenous Peoples was finally adopted. This means that these people recognised how important different cultures and languages are to certain people so they had given people the right to carry on using the Ainu culture and let people speak the languages.
A fact I found out about the Papuan People was that, inside of their population,  the majority of people are Christian, alothough the beliefs still remain strong and reports of religious discrimination are rare.
Week Two- Day Four | Wise words
Activity 3
For this activity, please identify someone in your life who is a role model to you. This could be a parent, grandparent, neighbour, minister, imam, rabbi, etc. Please ask them to share one piece of wisdom (advice) with you that they think you and your blog readers should hear.
On your blog, share this wisdom with your readers.
If I had to choose one person in my life who I thought was a role model to me, it would definitely be my mother. Through the 13 years that I have known her, she has been the best role model ever known. How?
 It’s almost like my Mum has superpowers because when things get hard and nearly impossible she fights through it with everything she has. My mother and I are very close, and I talk to her about everything, well, almost. She has the kindest heart and always sees the best in people even when at times they aren’t. My Mum at several times during the year, gives of herself, with either baking to teachers throughout my school or even on holidays like Christmas, she does up little gifts to people around the neighborhood.  My mother does this with kindness, and doesn’t expect anything back from it. This proves she truly is an amazing person. Her being involved with a family of six and beyond, how she copes is truly incredible and the way she handles and takes care of us is unbelievable. So what could you do to be a great role model to others?
My mother's piece of advice ( wisdom): “ Make every day count.”




1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennae,

    Leisha here again :) Another fabulous post Jennae. I can tell you have been very busy this summer break, completing lots of the SLJ activities. Keep it up!

    I am really impressed with your journal entry here. I can tell you have really thought about how mr Mandela would have felt living in a prison. Do you think he would have done the same thing each day, or would each day be quite different? I like that you included ideas about how he must have felt...hungry, lonely, cold, isolated. Great use of words to describe these feelings.

    It is great that you already know lots about climate change. Have you been learning about it at your school? What are three key facts that you know about climate change that you could tell someone who didn’t know anything about it? It is fantastic to see that you are using a recycling bin as a way to help the environment too!

    Ka pai for completing these 9 activities! I have read them all and I am impressed with the time and detail you have put into each of them. What one did you enjoy the most? Keep up the amazing work Jennae!

    Leisha
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.