Tuesday 4 September 2018

Ski Response

On the 14/8/16 the year 7’s and 8’s went skiing. We all arrived at
school at 6:45am. Ms Kemp called the roll and we were then handed
our orange arm band and we headed off. We all got into our car groups
and headed out to Porters Heights ski field. In my car group there was me,
Poppy and Cullam and our car driver was Scott who is Poppy’s dad.


We arrived there around 9:30 am. We put on  our ski pants, beanies,
gloves and sunglasses we needed and got out all the cars and headed
outside of the café. When we had all got there a man called Jason called
out our last names in alphabetical order. We all one at a time walked up
to Miss Martin, got our numbers and walked into the gear hire room. In
the room there was a station for ski boots, ski helmets and goggles. I had
hired ski boots, a helmet and goggles. I then put on everything and went
outside and got my skis.


Once everyone had their gear we had all started at the beginners slope.
At the beginners slope we had learned how to do the Pizza which is how
you stop. Some people moved up from that to the intermediate slope and
some people stayed. Milan and I were some of the ones that stayed. We
had stayed for a ski lesson on how to turn and jump around cones. Milan
and I were practising so much to try show Ms Kemp that we could move
up from beginners.


Soon we had to leave the ski field and eat our play lunch. I had sandwiches
and a banana. After interval everyone got back into their skis and went back
to skiing. It turned out me and Milan practising worked and we both moved up
to the intermediate slope. I went up with Hannah and her dad. The first time I
went up I fell off the poma and I skied down because I was half way up. As
soon as I got down I had to go back to the beginner slope and practise how
to get up if you fall off, and my turns. I finally got it and went back up with
Sasha’s mum, Erin. She helped me a lot!  We only went to halfway and she
showed me how to turn and so did Rebekah’s dad, Rowan.


For the rest of the day I did the intermediate slope. I skied down with my
friends a lot. I just loved skiing at Porters and since it was my first time it was
a bit of a challenge but I got it in the end. My favourite part was definitely the
intermediate slope.

Once everyone got off the ski field at 3:30pm we took all our gear off and
handed it in. My legs and toes were so sore from being used to the heavy
boots and from skiing all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.