Friday 12 April 2019

Callaghan's Ridge Walk

Callaghan's Ridge Walk

On April 11th 2019 the Room One and Room Eight students that wanted to do the William Pike Challenge participated on the Callaghan's Ridge walk.
Firstly I was in a car with the driver as Ms Kemp( my teacher) and the students Jack, Wairini, Summer and me.
When we got to the start of the walk we already had our scavenger hunts in our hands. The scavenger hunts we were given were things we had to find but we had to show a parent before we found the item or thing. I kept hearing the bird throughout the walk and I recondised their different sounds to the birds. There was things to find like the tomtit(miromiro) bird, piwakawaka(fantail), bellbird, bracket fungi, blue mushroom and other plants like the crown fern. In my group i had my brother Jack and my best friend Milan.
Our term groups also had been told we have to make a bivvy at lunch time about half way through the walk to keep our team dry while having lunch. In my group team I have had are Ethan, Aimee, David and Korban.  I also liked the sound the rain dripping loud and clear above my head. Our parent helper Rowan helped us and asked us question like where the best place will be to build our bivvy. We figured out that if you want all the water to run off the tarpoline then you need the bivvy roof to be on a slope. My group sat quietly under our bivvy and had our lunch. Soon Ms Kemp came around and gave everyone a jelly frog which I was thankful for.
On the walk our teacher told us that we were defiently going to be getting rain on the track. I love to walk in the rain but not many other people did and complained about their feet being wet. The feeling of the wet soggy and moist shoes is understandable for me and others. The track the rain did effect us and the track alot. This effected the track and us this way because it made the parts where you thought were leaves when they were leaves floating on top of water. The water from the rain did not only make me step in huge puddles of unable to see water it also made the mud on the ground of the walk slippery and so many people slipped over or fell on someone.
I part I most enjoyed/ liked was when my group team had worked really well together on our bivvy and made it a success. This was one of my favorutie because this was my second  time learning how to make a bivvy with the supplies around us.
Next time we do a tramp I would suggest maybe to do the Point Elizabeth walk. It isn't too hard or too easy and I think it would be perfect for a group of people we went with for Callaghan's. I have only done half of this walk and I would like to walk the whole thing. This walk doesn't take too long just about an hour and 45 minutes but maybe longer because we have occasional stops to keep the group up and for eating and drinking breaks.
All together I really really enjoyed this walk with Room One, Room Eight, myself and the parents as well as teachers.I would reccomend this work to anyone because I think heaps of people could be capable of doing this walk if they wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.