Saturday 8 June 2019

Be With A Tree

#bewithatree
This week for reading and writing we have been do challenges each day for the Be With A Tree event. For this we were suppose to choose a partner to work with, but I worked by myself. I worked by myself because my goal for this year is to be more independent.  Below is my work for the 10 day challenge of  Be With A Tree. Please leave a thoughtful, helpful and positive comment on my work.

  1. Meet a type of tree you haven’t met before. A tree that I never really look at or take the time to look at I just walk past it alot is the tree called the Pohutukawa Tree. We can also call this tree the New Zealand Christmas Tree.


  1. Find something living in the tree. Something that I found that was living in the Pohutukawa Tree was a honey bee. I have been seeing many honey bees lately around the Pohutukawa Tree flowers. I have also seen a couple birds like the Tui and the common sparrows.


  1. Play bark bingo. When I played bark bingo I had to find six different types of bark off a tree and set up a bingo board. I placed thedown on the ground and I chose three types and the other played picked tree barks as well. To play the bark bingo I had to put the names of the barks written on paper then put into a snaplock bag. One by one I pulled out a type of bark and I had to see if I had it.


  1. Meet a tree of significance.  A tree of significance that I met was a Kowhai Tree. The Kowhai Tree is  native to New Zealand and this tree attracts the Tui’s which is also a native bird to New Zealand. This tree is known for blooming their bright yellow flowers  in the Winter or early Spring.


  1. Find a tree that provides us with food. A tree that can provide people with food is the Cabbage Tree. When there wasn’t much food back in the day people use to scrape off the bark and cook it up. Thescientific name for the Cabbage Tree is called Cordyline Australis.


  1. Vote for your hero tree.
I have voted for my hero tree and that one was a Kowhai Tree. I love Kowhai tree because they are nice and bright with their colour and they are native to New Zealand.




  1. Plant a tree or a seed ball.  I actually have planted a tree in the past ten days for my mum. I was in Motueka for holiday and we went to one of my mum’s great uncles and he gave us heaps of seeds to plant a greengage tree. A greengage tree is just like a plum tree but the plums are green. I have planted two of these trees in my backyard for my mum.


  1. Find a non- living tree. I have a non living tree in my backyard actually.  My mum loves photinia trees so we have heaps in our backyard. I looked out my bedroom window and seen a non living photinia tree  behind me.


  1. Compare a rākau to the giant kauri Tāne Mahuta.





  1. Why do you think these tree are important? Write your thoughts on an outline of a leaf and send it to KCC to be apart of our tree sculpture.


















What I said on the outline  of the leaf was….
Trees are important to me because they are native to NZ.
I also know that trees are important because trees can actually create types of air humans inhale.

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Jennae
    You have done a wonderful job of demonstrating independence and commitment to your learning. I enjoyed reading this post a lot, possibly because I had no inkling as to what you had done to complete the challenge. I smiled to see that the photinia tree has found its way back into the limelight this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour Ms Kemp,
      Thank you for your positive repsonse to my work. I really enjoyed learning about the be with a tree unit. It was very interesting and I learnt more things that I didn't already know.

      Delete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.