Monday 24 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week Three Day One Activity 1,2 and 3

Activity 1 Week Three Day  One (4 points)
Success Criteria: On your blog, tell us what time of year you think is best for
tourists for come and visit. Be sure to share at least three things that tourists
could do while they were here in NZ.


I think the best time of year for the tourists to come and visit it the winter time
when it is snowing. I think this because in other countries they may not have
snow to play with and have a look at it could all be new to them. If I was in a
country with no snow and I came to New Zealand I would definitely love to see
snow in person.


Two activities  tourists could do when they come down here in the South Island
of New Zealand is to go skiing at Porters Heights and also snowboarding.
I have done skiing before I would recommend it, it was really, really fun to do
and it was my first time this year but I have never tried snowboarding but it
seems difficult to learn and master.

The third activity tourists could do in the winter time is you could get boogie
boards and go down hills on them, though some of them might not be children
anymore. So an activity for the adults is to go ice skating. I have done this before
it is so fun. I recommend this activity to the adults and children tourists.

Activity 2 Week Three Day One (4 Points)
Success Criteria:On your blog, list five different things that we can do to protect
ourselves from the sun this summer! Read the Sunsmart website.

  1. Apply heaps of sunblock to your skin to the places where your skin is exposed to the sun.
  2. Just because you have sunblock on doesn’t mean your sunsmart you need a sunhat to cover your face from the sun as well.
  3. The best thing to do is to put on a long sleeved t-shirt.
  4. The next thing to do is to put a pair of sunglasses on to protect your eyes from UV radiation.
  5. If you don’t want to get sunburnt you can also sit under a shady tree or gazebo.




Activity 3 Week Three Day One (15 Points)
Success Criteria:While it can get hot in New Zealand, especially in the middle of summer, it gets even hotter in places like Dallol (Ethiopia), Dasht-e Loot (Iran), Tirat Zvi (Israel), Kabili (Tunisia) and Bandar-e Mahshahr (Iran).
The hottest temperature on record in each place is: Dallol: 41oC; Dasht-e Loot: 71oC;
Tirat Zvi: 54oC; Kabili: 55oC; Bandar-e Mahshahr: 51oC. Crazy ‘eh?!
For this activity, you are asked to use this information to create a graph. The graph should have a title along with the names of each city and their hottest recorded temperatures. You can draw the graph by hand or use a computer programme like Google Draw to create your graph. It’s completely up to you!





3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Jennae,

    My name is Hazel and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey (SLJ) team. I’ll be helping Allie and the team out in Toki Pounamu over the Christmas holidays. It's great to see you making such an awesome start to the programme - ka pai. I can see you've been very busy over the past few days.

    I agree that visiting the South Island in winter would be great for tourists new to New Zealand; I love the snow, and the winter sports like skiing and snowboarding. What activities do you like to do in the summer?

    You've included some great tips to help people stay sunsmart. I liked your point about sunblock not being enough to keep yourself safe. Hats are very important too.

    Great job creating your graph! What do you think it would be like to live in one of those places where the temperatures can reach up to 71 degrees?

    Keep up the great work, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

    Hazel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Hazel,
      Im Jennae. Activities I like to do in the summer are boggie boarding at the Karoro Beach. My family and I always go to Nelson Creek camping and swim in the creek and go cliff jumping. Every summer holidays we have been going to Motueka for 1-2 weeks staying at my mums first cousins place. When we are in Moteuka mostly everyday we would go to Kaiteriteri Beach and swim, kayak and jump off the wooden plank.
      Living in a place having s temperature of 71 degress up I would probably be outside getting a tan or go swimming in a freezing cold pool to cool me down.If I am not doing this I would be inside watching a movie because its too hot.
      Thank you for your positive comment Hazel.

      From Jennae.

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Jennae,

    Wow, it sounds like you will have an action-packed summer holiday; lots of outdoor activities and time spent with family. It sounds like you spend a lot of time in the water during the summer - I love swimming in the ocean when it's hot outside. I think that if I lived somewhere that was 71 degrees, I would spend even more time in the water to keep cool. I like your idea of going inside to watch movies. Movie theatres usually have great air conditioning! What is your favourite movie?

    Hazel :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.