Wednesday 18 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey | Day One Explorers

Week One- Day One
Activity 1 | Explorers


For this activity, make a list of ten food items that you could take with you. Please think carefully about what you will take as you won’t have access to a refrigerator or freezer while at sea. Please explain why you would select each item. On your blog, post your list of 10 food items you would take on an ocean voyage and the reasons why you chose these items.
If I had the chance to go on an ocean voyage there would be certain items I would definitely want to take with me. When going on an ocean voyage you need certain things to keep you alive and safe. Below are some items I would bring on an ocean voyage and why.

I would obviously bring water. Water is a very important liquid that keeps the human body hydrated and healthy and without it, you would become very dehydrated and your blood volume would decrease.  Inside of the average human body, 60% of it is water and every living cell needs it to keep functioning. Drinking seawater isn’t a very good idea because it contains salt. When drinking seawater salt makes it harder for your kidneys to remove unwanted fluids, which can build up in your system and raise your blood pressure.

Next, I would bring food. I would bring food along with me because it gives the human body energy, warmth, growth, and repair. Although the human body can survive for at least three weeks without food, it's a goodidea to give the body the nutrients it needs to survive.

There is only a certain amount of time before we become bored and feel like there is nothing to do. Bringing things like a kindle, board game, pack of cards is a great idea because these are incredible light items to pack with you to make sure you enjoy the trip with some source of entertainment.
A very important item to bring would be a life jacket / personal floatation device ( PFD). A life jacket is something that keeps you above the surface level in case of emergencies and helps you to not use as much energy if you didn’t have one. You can use life jackets in case of any emergencies and it will keep you safe.
Another item I would bring with me would be medicine. You never know what might happen at sea, you could get sick very seriously and need a lot of help.
A very significant item would be to bring a first aid kit.  A first aid kit is a small pack with bandages, wipes, panadol, etc. Although the boat may have a first aid kit it would be great to carry one along with you in case it does not.
The next important item I would bring along with me on an ocean voyage would be warm clothing. I would bring warm clothing because of things like thermal and woolly socks being useful when your body temperature drops and needing to increase it back to its original state slowly.
Some items that would be necessary to bring would be some type of emergency signals. This includes flares and beacons. A beacon is an object you set off when an emergency happens and you need help right away and a flare looks like a bright red torch that is shot into the sky so people can see where you might be. I would bring these items because in any serious emergencies your going to need help somehow and using these items is a great idea.
Next, I would bring along with me a type of camera to take photographs. Bringing a camera is a great idea because I love to photograph awesome moments and memories. Although you are probably wondering, couldn’t you just use a phone. No, not really! Most camera batteries do actually last longer than phone batteries, did you know that?
Do you ever feel alone and wanting a friend or someone you know you accompany you? I know I have. I would definitely take a friend or a family member along with me on an ocean voyage because they make your trip even more enjoyable, something else to look forward to and just to have company in general.




Week One- Day One
Activity 2 |Explorers
For this activity we would like you to think about your own experiences and your own cultural background. Where does your family come from? Do they come from Europe like Abel Tasman, Polynesia like Kupe, or somewhere else?


On your blog, please tell us about your cultural background. Where do you and your family come from?
Looking back through my generations, I have noticed that I have a huge family background. Starting off on my mums side of the family. In my blood, I have a couple of cultures in me. On both of my Mum’s and Dad’s side of the family I know I have British ( english) and just of my Mum’s side, Irish.
To find about where in my family did I get these cultures from I had to ask my parents, and they knew almost everything about my family tree.I asked my Mum where I might of gotten irish from and she said, “Well, your great grandparents were born in County Tyrone, Ireland and their parents too.” I kept asking, “ what about their parents?”
She replied with “ From Ireland.” So that is where I had got irish from.
Next I asked my Mum about how I am English. We talked about it for a while then I finally had gotten the answer I wanted. My great granddad was born in Plymouth Devon, England and his parents after that as well.
It’s amazing how far back a family tree can go and what type of cultures you may have in your blood. Doing this task has really made me think about my family and its generations and even finding out new things about it  too.


Week One- Day One
Activity 3 | Explorers
For this activity, please select a charity that you are interested in. You may choose your own or use one from our list (below). Read about the charity.
List of Possible Charities:
On your blog, write a short explanation of what the charity does.
For this task I have chosen to do the SPCA. I have one of these in my hometown and they do amazing jobs with animals. The word SPCA is an acronym, SPCA means Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. I mostly know what the SPCA do but it wouldn’t hurt to find out more about the place. 
The SPCA is a charity where they look after animals and keep them safe. These people do their job well by giving animals their best homes and for them to have their best lives. The volunteers at the SPCA industry help the animals by giving them their vaccinations, flea treatments, food, water, love, litter training and care. 
I have a cat named Millie and she is very close to becoming two years old and my family had brought her home from the SPCA and she was in such good condition so were the other animals we looked at. The volunteers inside of the SPCA are such great people, having the knowledge, patience and the ability to help others in need.
The SPCA charity is something where you can donate anything, like money for instance, to help them create even better lives for animals and get the things they need.
I mostly knew about what the SPCA does and what the charity inside of it is, but there was some new learning within it for me.









1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Jennae,

    Thanks for sharing your blog post with us!

    You have clearly done plenty of research into what foods you should bring! I am glad to see water right at the top of the list. You are absolutely right to include it, not only do we depend on water to survive, it can also be used for cooking up other foods. Did you know that the average person can only survive 3 days without water?

    Oh wow, that’s pretty cool that you have a mix of Irish and English cultures. I have ancestors from England too. Have you ever travelled to Ireland or England? I have not, but I am planning a trip to England later in the year, I think they would both be cool places to visit.

    The SPCA are such a wonderful organisation. That’s amazing that you know so much about them. Millie is a great name for a cat! Is she friendly cat, or a cool cat that does her own thing? My parents adopted a Dog from the SPCA too. He is a miniature papillon, his name is Shaki, and he is ridiculously cute!

    Well done on all your blogging Jennae, we have all been super impressed with your commitment to the Summer Learning Journey :)

    Beren

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.