Wednesday 18 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week One- Day two

Week One- Day Two|Up in the air
Activity 1 
For this activity, compare and contrast these two aviators. 
On your blog, share your comparison between the two women and be sure to include at least three similarities and three differences between these two aviators.
Below is the link to the venn diagram I made on Jean and Amelia.

Week One- Day Two |Up in the air
Activity 2
For this activity, let’s imagine that you were Neil Armstrong.
On your blog, write a short poem describing how you felt when you first set foot on the moon. Here is a link to some different poetry forms.

My excitement grows,
getting closer and closer.
The bright circular shape appears below me,
opening the exit, taking a deep breath in.
Gradually getting closer to the rounded surface, my left foot landing flat,
my cheeks widen with relief across my face. What an experience!

Week One- Day Two | Up in the air
Activity 3
For this activity, we would like to hear about a time when you, or someone you know, was brave like Sully.
On your blog, recount a time when you (or someone else you know) did something brave.
For the past two years of going on holidays in the Summer to Motueka, New Zealand, both my younger and older brother have been wanting to go skydiving. They wanted to go but they didn’t know they were in for a scary treat.
On our third year of going to Motueka, my brothers talked about going skydiving the whole trip thinking if they should do it. So they did. 
As we drove down a long tar sealed road, they peaked out the car window, “That will be you two in a minute,” I said with excitement. We pulled into the car park, this is for real now. Turning my head, looking at my younger brother, butterflies in his stomach taking deep breaths in and out. My family got out of the car, walking up to the front desk. “Hello, are both my two sons able to go skydiving today?” Mum questioned the desk staff. “Sure! What height are you wanting to jump from? 7000ft, 13500ft or 17100ft?” he asked. My brothers had a little conversation with each other choosing to to jump from, “!3500, please,” they replied.
“Okay. Are you okay with jumping at 11:00pm? The time now is 8:00am but by looking at the flag,” he pointed out, turning our heads and looking out the window, “the wind is picking up and it’s unsafe,” he asked.
“Are you boys find with that?” Mum asked.
“Uhh, yer,” they both replied. 
We decided to stay, waiting for 11:00am to past by. We walked outside with our camera for taking photos, each lying down on a bright bean bags in the warm sun. The weather was warm, just apart from the breeze, cooling me down. I ended up closing my eyes, everything becoming black and falling asleep.
A few hours later, I woke up, getting ready to watch my brothers jump from the plane 13500ft in the sky, camera ready in my hands. They begin to walk up the ladder into the plane, by looking at their face, I could tell they were certainly nervous. Door closing, the deafening sound of the planes rumbling beginning to lift off the ground. I was told to look and take pictures of the  pink and purple parachutes. I kept looking at the plane, waiting for it to disappear far away and it did. I waited at least 5-7 minutes for the parachutes to appear.
 “Look up there, quick take photos!” Mum yelled at my sister and I. Lying on our backs, pointing the camera into the blinding sun. Click! Taking many photos, it seemed to go for a while. They both began to come onto land on a curve, feet up, smooth landing. Taking their parachutes off walking back to us, laughing, smiling and chatter filled the air.
Driving back in the car, they were certainly happy with each other and the rest of my family was amazed they would do such a scary thing.
I’m proud of my brothers because doing something like that is definitely out of their comfort zones and very brave for them to do. As you know we have photographs and videos the skydiving team took,  as memories of them both skydiving for the first time, that we will have forever.


2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Jennae,

    My name is Leisha Ferguson and I am with the Summer Learning Journey. I live in Auckland and I am part of the team that will be commenting on your blog posts over the summer. I am really looking forward to getting to know you and reading your interesting blogs :)

    Wow! I am super impressed with the time and effort you have put into these activities. Your poem is really creative and I love how you have described the excitement Neil must have felt. I was unable to open your document with the venn diagram for comparing the two aviators but have requested access to be granted for this. If you get an email to approve my access, please do as I would love to see what you have done.

    The story you have written about your brothers sky diving experience was a wonderful read. You have gone into a lot of detail to recount this day and how the experience was for you as well as your brothers. I am not sure that I would ever like to skydive. Too high for me! What about you? Is it something you would like to do one day? Your brothers are very brave and as you said, they will have memories of this day forever.

    Just an idea for future posts, if you add images and colour, it can give you post that added “wow” factor. You can get creative and add images you have drawn yourself either by hand or using google draw. You are also welcome to borrow images from the internet, as long as you attribute any images you use. You can do this simply by providing a link to show where you found the images.

    Keep up the amazing work Jennae. I cannot wait to read your other posts and see what you post next!

    Leisha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Leisha,

      So far I have really enjoyed participating in the Summer Learning Journey for the second year now. I agree. Adding images and photographs would make my work look better, thank you for reminding me.

      Watching my brothers skydive was pretty exciting for not only them but definitely for myself. I have been thinking about doing it when we next go to Motueka, and I think I would.

      How are your holidays going? Mine have went good so far, infact I came back late from Christchurch last night. The one place I always go to when in Chrsitchurch is Riccarton Mall. My Dad, my two brothers and I did a little Christmas shopping and looking for a pet to bring home. Do you have any pets?

      Thank you for commenting on my blog post with such helpful and positive feedback.

      -Jennae :)

      Delete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.